Virginia mountain-mint (Pycnanthemum virginianum)
Dry to moist meadows, ditches and roadsides.
In midsummer small white flowers bloom atop silvery green foliage attracting numerous pollinators - this is a top nectar plant. Foliage is minty, fragrant and used medicinally. Thrives in poor soil and can form large clumps spreading by underground roots so too aggressive for small gardens. Tough enough to establish in an existing meadow of dense vegetation or in a rain garden that alternates between wet and dry. Looks great in a large pot. Deer-proof. 2-3'.
Germination code: B (view code details)
Each seed package carries a specific germination code along with the plant description. These codes indicate specific sowing instructions.
- A Seeds can be sown outdoors in fall or early spring.
- B Seeds need a winter or cold period to germinate. Sow outdoors in fall or winter.
- C Seeds need light to germinate; sow on soil surface and leave uncovered.
- D Seeds need alternating cycles of warm-to-cold-to-warm to germinate. They can be sown either outdoors in spring or summer and will germinate the following year or in a flat in a warm place for 3 months, then moved to a refrigerator for 2 months, then moved outside in the early summer warmth.
- E Seeds can not be allowed to dry out. Sow immediately.
- F Seeds take two years to germinate. Sow outside in the fall or winter and look for germination in the second spring. A shady location prevents the flats from rapid drying and reduces weeding
- G Large seeds should be soaked overnight in water.
- FERN: Sow spores in a warm bright location in a sealed container and keep moist. Directions enclosed with package. Challenging.
If you have specific questions about seeds and germination guidelines please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All seeds can be sown and placed outdoors in fall or winter bypassing the need for an artificial indoor cold stratification (refrigerator) required for some species when planted in spring. This is the simplest method. See How to Grow Natives From Seed for detailed instructions.