Seaside goldenrod (Solidago sempervirens)
Dry, sandy or gravelly beaches, salt marshes, shores; roadsides.
Tolerant of flooding and salt.
Yellow flower clusters brighten sunny dry roadsides and shorelines throughout autumn. A clump forming mass of pale green foliage stays neat all season. Great in a sunny, dry garden or landscape edge subject to road salt. Flowers provide late season nectar for pollinating butterflies and bees; seeds eaten by birds. Thrives in the rain garden. Deer-resistant. 2'
Pairs well with smooth blue aster and butterfly milkweed.
Germination code: B (view code details)
Each seed package carries a specific germination code along with the plant description. These codes indicate specific sowing instructions.
- A Seeds can be sown outdoors in fall or early spring.
- B Seeds need a winter or cold period to germinate. Sow outdoors in fall or winter.
- C Seeds need light to germinate; sow on soil surface and leave uncovered.
- D Seeds need alternating cycles of warm-to-cold-to-warm to germinate. They can be sown either outdoors in spring or summer and will germinate the following year or in a flat in a warm place for 3 months, then moved to a refrigerator for 2 months, then moved outside in the early summer warmth.
- E Seeds can not be allowed to dry out. Sow immediately.
- F Seeds take two years to germinate. Sow outside in the fall or winter and look for germination in the second spring. A shady location prevents the flats from rapid drying and reduces weeding
- G Large seeds should be soaked overnight in water.
- FERN: Sow spores in a warm bright location in a sealed container and keep moist. Directions enclosed with package. Challenging.
If you have specific questions about seeds and germination guidelines please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All seeds can be sown and placed outdoors in fall or winter bypassing the need for an artificial indoor cold stratification (refrigerator) required for some species when planted in spring. This is the simplest method. See How to Grow Natives From Seed for detailed instructions.