Black elderberry (Sambucus nigra) Seeds
Wet meadows, hedgerows, and roadsides.
A dramatic native shrub with arching branches covered with large flat-topped clusters of white flowers in summer followed by deep purple fruit. Bees are attracted to the flowers and stems provide overwintering habitat for pollinators' larvae. Birds and humans relish the fruits. 8-10'
30 seeds per package.
Works well in a mixed hedge with winterberry and silky dogwood.
Germination code: B Seeds need a winter or cold period to germinate. Sow outdoors in fall or winter.
See all germination codes
Each seed package carries a specific germination code along with the plant description. These codes indicate specific sowing instructions.
- A Seeds can be sown outdoors in fall or early spring.
- B Seeds need a winter or cold period to germinate. Sow outdoors in fall or winter.
- C Seeds need light to germinate; sow on soil surface and leave uncovered.
- D Seeds need alternating cycles of warm-to-cold-to-warm to germinate. They can be sown either outdoors in spring or summer and will germinate the following year or in a flat in a warm place for 3 months, then moved to a refrigerator for 2 months, then moved outside in the early summer warmth.
- E Seeds can not be allowed to dry out. Sow immediately.
- F Seeds take two years to germinate. Sow outside in the fall or winter and look for germination in the second spring. A shady location prevents the flats from rapid drying and reduces weeding
- G Large seeds should be soaked overnight in water.
- FERN: Sow spores in a warm bright location in a sealed container and keep moist. Directions enclosed with package. Challenging.
If you have specific questions about seeds and germination guidelines please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All seeds can be sown and placed outdoors in fall or winter bypassing the need for an artificial indoor cold stratification (refrigerator) required for some species when planted in spring. This is the simplest method. See How to Grow Natives From Seed for detailed instructions.